Although crib mattress are mostly made of waterproof cover, yet they all need to be cleaned continually, you know why?
This is because the constant use of the mattress makes it liable to becoming stained. Also, hygiene demands that one clean one’s baby and baby’s belonging every time.
This would definitely enhance the healthy living of the baby. Also, even the crib mattress would be safe for anyone to play around with.
Notwithstanding, you need this article so as not to know how to clean a crib mattress alone but also to remove hardened stains from it. The good thing about the tips that would be provided is that you can utilize it for all forms of mattresses.
Just as we stated earlier that it would augment the healthy living of your child, it would also give you rest of mind, how? Because your mattress would become free of allergens and odors.
In other words, we’d not only provide you with the conventional method of eradicating stains but also provide you with tips that would aid the removal of odors and “stashed” stains.
The information that is provided is factual and highly reliable for anyone to comfortably utilize.
Therefore, let’s check out the 8 systematic methods of cleaning a crib mattress irrespective of the condition.
8 Things to Consider about How to Clean a Crib Mattress:
1. Significant Tools
Here is the basic equipment that is needed for the easy cleaning of the mattress. They are so important that users don’t have to discourse their relevance and importance:
- Get a vacuum cleaner.
- Ensure that some notable amount of water is boiled or warmed on your stovetop.
- Make available a scrubbing brush and a few sachets of laundry detergent.
- Get a recommended disinfectant so as to prevent bedbugs.
- You can also make citric acid and also an empty bucket available so as to comfortably clean the mattress.
- Make a clean cloth available.
- All these would help your work to be fast and exquisite.
You might want to follow the steps that we provide you on this platform. The steps include the following:
- Remove the mattress from the crib. You might want to remove the cover sheet also so as to have enough space to clean the mattress.
- Move the mattress and the equipment that you’ve made ready to a secluded room in your home. Choose a room that’s spacious and you wouldn’t mind if it gets wet.
- Once you’re done with heating the water, you can mix it up with water at room temperature so as to neutralize it.
- Lay the mattress in a slant direction against the wall.
- You can use a broom to dust off the surface of the mattress before proceeding.
3. Vacuum Cleaner
- Use the vacuum cleaner first. However, fix the attachment to the tip and plug the pins inside a power outlet.
- Ensure that the storage area is dirt free before you begin to use the machine.
- Use the vacuum cleaner in up-and-down direction while vacuuming the dirt on the surface.
- You can change the direction of the mattress as you systematically clean the mattress.
- Make sure that you cover both the surface and the edges while you’re cleaning the mattress.
- This would remove the allergens and dust from the surface of your mattress.
- Once you’re done, you can proceed with the next step.
Whenever you’re done, you can just remove the vacuum cleaner from the spot where you positioned other equipment.
Thereafter, get the warm water inside the bucket and mix a quantified amount of laundry detergent inside. You can then stir it up so as to make it become foamy.
Afterwards, insert the sponge so that it could become soaked. Also, fill the sprayer with the soapy water or get a scooper so as to use any of them to sprinkle the stained spots.
Now, use the brush to scrub the surface that’s sprinkled. Provided the material used in covering the mattress is waterproof, then you can clean every spot of the mattress.
Once you’re done with the cleanups, you can remove the soapy water and fill it with clean warm water.
Now, insert the clean cloth inside the clean warm water and squeeze the water immediately you’re done so as to remove the water and leave the cloth damp.
Afterwards, use the damp cloth to scrub the scrubbed surface so as to remove the soapy water from the surface.
This would even enable you to properly see the spots that are not cleaned. Rinsing the spots would make you know whether you need to halt or continue with your washing.
In case you see a need for applying a disinfectant to your mattress, then you’d have to do that immediately you’re done rinsing it.
This would ensure that the alcohol is not washed off. Nevertheless, before opting for the best disinfectant, it’s advisable that one make researches so as to get the best use of it.
7. Removing of Stains and Odors
Provided you find out that there were stains that were hard to remove, then here are the tips to practice so as to get all cleaned up:
- Mix water and vinegar or citric acid of equal amount together. You don’t have to get the water warmed before mixing it with the vinegar or citric acid.
- Fill the sprayer with the mixture and sprinkle it on the stained spots. Make sure that the spot(s) is immensely wet.
- Wait for at least 8-12 minutes so as to be sure that the mixture has enveloped the stained spots.
- You can apply baking soda at the surface so as to aid in the removal of the ions.
It’s essential that you dry the mattress once you’re done with the cleaning. It would ensure that no termite buildup is found on it.
It would even make your baby enjoy a convenient sleep. Once you’ve seen that it’s dried, you can use a vacuum cleaner to remove the baking soda and take it back to the crib so as to get it fixed up for use.
This is how crib mattresses can be cleaned. The information provided is not only for crib mattresses but all kinds of mattresses. Cleaning of the mattress is simplified and can easily be understood by anyone irrespective of the reader’s knowledge.
Nonetheless, we hope our amiable readers have got all that they need in ensuring that their home is clean.